The 2017 Karkloof River Walk was an initiative of the Karkloof Conservancy, undertaken in partnership with WWF-SA. GroundTruth provided technical support directing the measurements and assessments that would be undertaken during the walk, and analysis of the data collected. The initiative was inspired by the many River Walks undertaken by DUCT.
The core walkers were Twané Clarke (Karkloof Conservancy), Sue Viljoen (WWF-SA), Nduduzo Khoza (Endangered Wildlife Trust) and Ayanda Lipheyana (GroundTruth). Simon Bruton and Jenna Taylor (GroundTruth) stepped in as substitutes for a day each. Representatives of SAPPI and other land owners joined the walk on various days.
Take a look at our River Walk Toolkit.
Read the daily blogs from the Karkloof River Walk here;
· Introduction – Karkloof River Walk
· Day 1 - Source Seeking and Catchment Clambering
· Day 2 - SAPPI Saunter
· Day 3 - Bushwillows, Bushbuck and Bushwhacking
· Day 4 - A Winding Watercourse
· Day 5 - Finally the Falls!
· Day 6 - Catchment to Confluence Complete!
Thank you to the various partners, sponsors and land owners who came together to make the walk possible.